Herbal tinctures are typically an alcoholic extract of plant or animal material. One of the best solvents you can find in any home is VINEGAR. Being acidic is a better solvent for obtaining alkaloids then most of industrial products.
The general method of preparation (herbal tinctures) is really simple: the herbs are put in a container (a jar), the vinegar is added and then the jar is left to stand for 2–3 weeks and shaken occasionally in order to maximize extraction.
Here is an amazing antibiotic, antiviral, vermifuge, anti-fungal (and a lot of other health benefits as listed below):
1. Apple Cider Vinegar contains Malic Acid which is an antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, and also supports energy production which increases mental and muscle functioning. It strengthens the immune system and regulates the acid/alkaline balance.
It also aids the digestive tract- if the apple cider is organic and unfiltered (see: How to make Apple Cider Vinegar at Home – easy) it will contain small amounts of ‘mother’ colony (bacteria and yeast) which is an amazing probiotic. More so, it is known to reduce cholesterol and blood glucose levels.
2. Fresh Hot Peppers contain capsaicin (The hotter the chili, the more capsaicin) a substance known for keeping immature fat cells from developing into full-fledged ones (Burns off FAT cells) and for boosting metabolism. It also contains Vitamin C (helps the immune system) and a wide range of B Vitamins. A study in the British Journal of Nutrition showed that adding hot chilis to daily meals protects against cholesterol (forming) in the blood.
3. Garlic contains allicin, an antibiotic and anti-fungal compound that protects it against pests. Allicin helps treating sore throats, colds, flu, poor digestion and it is a potent antiseptic and antimicrobial agent effective against many types of infection. Above all, it really helps your immune system and you won’t be caching colds that easy. (see: How to make Medicinal Pickled Garlic)
4. White Onions contains Quercetin (just like Allicin for Garlic), a substance known for its health benefits. Quercetin is an effective anti-inflammatory agent (study in the journal International Archives of Allergy and Applied Immunology). Quercetin has been found to relax the airway muscles and may provide a relief when caching a cold (or for asthma symptoms). It also acts as an antioxidant, protecting the body against free radicals and boosting your immune system.
5. Ginger has a long tradition of being very effective in alleviating symptoms of gastrointestinal distress. In herbal medicine, ginger is regarded as an excellent carminative (a substance which promotes the elimination of intestinal gas) and intestinal spasmolytic (a substance which relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract). Modern scientific research has revealed that ginger possesses numerous therapeutic properties including antioxidant effects, an ability to inhibit the formation of inflammatory compounds, and direct anti-inflammatory effects.
6. “Horseradish Root juice or sauce (extracted from horseradish root) has been used effectively to relieve sinus discomfort. The traditional treatment for sinusitis is to “take a half teaspoonful of grated horseradish sauce without dilution both morning and afternoon. Do not drink anything or eat for at least ten minutes after the dose. There will be a powerful feeling in the head, followed by a sensation of the sinuses clearing, sometimes accompanied with sweating and perhaps tearing.
Due to its antibiotic properties, horseradish can also be used to treat urinary tract infections (UTI) and destroy bacteria in the throat that can cause bronchitis, coughs and related problems. Additionally, horseradish stimulates the body to eliminate urine, so bacteria or other inflammatory agents in the bladder may be flushed out sooner than they normally would be eliminated.” (Source)
How to Extract the Tincture
1. Peel and chop the Onions and the Garlic.
2. Grate the Ginger and the Horseradish Root
3. Toss the Onions, the Peppers and the Garlic into the blender or processor and wreak havoc!
4. Add all crumbled ingredients into one gallon jar and pour raw Apple Cider Vinegar until it’s fully filled.
5. Shake it every day for at least 2 weeks. The longer it stays in the jar the stronger the substance will be.
6. After at least 2 weeks, strain the substance. You can use a press or simply a gauze cloth.
7. Store the substance in small bottles in a dark place
You can start drinking it daily (two times a day). Mix it with honey if you find it to strong.
You may also like:
Check out this video Tutorial: