A lot of the Egg Substitutes out there are good for baking, but what about when you have the urge to stick them between your toes, or feel the need to egg someone’s house? The egg substitutes just aren’t the same. So if you want to make sure you are never without eggs, don’t worry, you can preserve eggs with mineral oil!
Preserve Eggs with Mineral Oil:
#1 You will need:
- Eggs – You want clean eggs, and the fresher the better!
- Mineral Oil – Usually found in the drugstore next to Pepto Bismal.
- Gloves – You want to be careful not to get this stuff on you! (mineral oil can cause Estrogen issues in women so be extra cautious).
#2 Oil Eggs
- Warm 1/8 cup oil in the microwave for about 10 seconds. (this much will be able to do about 2 dozen eggs)
- Dry eggs and carton.
- Put your gloves on!
- Rub a little oil in your hands and then grab an egg.
- Coat entire egg with oil doesn’t matter how thick or thin.
- Make sure not to leave any exposed areas, cover completely with the oil!
#3 Place Egg in Dry Carton
- Once the egg is all lathered in oil, make sure to place it in the egg carton small end down! Not sure why just do it!
- Short-Term Storage (up to 3 months): Store at regular temperature.
- Long-Term Storage (about 6-9 months): Store them in a cool, dark area – Ideally between 65-68 degrees & 75% humidity
- Extra-Long Storage (9-12 months): Store in Fridge
#5 Flip Weekly or Monthly!
- Once a Week, Month, or whenever you remember, make sure to flip the entire egg carton gently upside down to help maintain the egg yolk.
How do I know if the eggs go BAD?
- Use your nose! You will pass out!
- Play the Sink or Float game!
- Sink = GOOD
- Float = BAD
Besides the benefits I mentioned earlier, here are some other great reasons you should know how to preserve your own eggs:
- Emergencies – If you’re power goes out, you don’t have to worry about turning Vegan!
- Sales – When eggs go on sale you can score big!
- Space – Sometimes you just need some extra fridge space, and by kicking the eggs to the counter it will free some up!