The common cold is something everyone has to go through at least once per year. People will buy several different remedies at a time, in hopes that something will help ease the discomfort. Congestion is almost always a symptom, and is usually the issue that makes being sick unbearable. Interestingly enough, even with all the nasal decongestants on the market, sometimes a hot shower is one of the best things to do to relive a stuffy nose or chest. Want to make a steamy shower even more effective? Using simple household ingredients and some essential oils, vapor tablets are simple to make at home and will make being sick a bit more bearable.
Vick’s Vapor Rub came out with a shower tablet product several years ago, the idea being that the steam in the shower would dissolve this tablet and the vapors would help you breathe better. These tablets may be hard to find now, but fortunately there are several ways to make them yourself. Ingredients are cheap and easy to find, and it just takes a few easy steps to start fighting your cold!
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup of water
- Eucalyptus oil, lavender oil, and rosemary oil – 15 drops each
- Alternate ingredient: vapor rub
- Optional: peppermint oil
- Muffin tin with liners or ice cube tray
Essential oils are typically easy to find in any drug or health food store, are relatively inexpensive, and will last a while—a little goes a long way! Eucalyptus oil is known to be an anti-inflammatory and a decongestant, among many other uses. Lavender oil will help relax you and may even improve sleep, which is crucial to recovery. The rosemary oil may relieve any aches and pains that come with being sick. The three together is the perfect cold-fighting combination. For a cooling affect, a few drops of peppermint oil may be added. If you don’t have any oils on hand you can use 2-3 tablespoons (depending on how strong you’d like the shower tablets to be) of a vapor rub of your choice, which will typically include at least one or more of the essential oil ingredients.
How to make them:
1. Combine water and baking powder in a mixing bowl until a thick paste is formed. It should stick to the back of your spoon. (If using vapor rub instead of essential oils, warm the water and dissolve it first before adding the baking soda)
2. Add the essential oils and gently mix.
3. Line the muffin tin with liners or use an ice cube tray, then spoon the mixture into the cups evenly
4. For best results, allow to air dry for 12-18 hours on the counter. If in a hurry, bake in the muffin tin at 225°F for 25 minutes. Once dry, store in an airtight container.
5. Drop in a hot shower and enjoy!
You may also like:
Canning Amish Poor Man’s Steak (Video)